I just upgraded my Microsoft Office 2013 license to Microsoft Office 2016 on my own desktop, both are part of the Home Use Program (HUP) from Microsoft.The setup went good with the Click to Run setup provided until the activation process.
The problem :
I started Word 2016 and was requested to sign-in with my e-mail address or to Enter a product key instead. I Choose this second option:
Using this option I get the following error code:
Sorry, we ran into a problem while trying to install the product key. If this keeps happening, you should try repairing your office product. (system error: 0x80041015)Repairing or Re-installing Office as suggested didn't help. Using Office cleaning tools to completely remove etc didn't help me to solve this problem.
The solution :
Here is the solution that helped me to solve this:
- First, if you tried several things before to find this article I would suggest you to reboot your computer since the file we will have to reset may be locked by some process
- Quit all started Office programs
- Now, navigate to the folder C:\Windows\System32\spp\store\2.0
You should find a file named tokens.dat :
Rename the file to tokens.dat.old or whatever you would like to:
- Go to your Programs and Features panel
- find Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016 and right-click on it
- select the Modify option
- Select Online Repair
- Wait until everything is repaired
- Now just start Word 2016 and enter your product key again, activation should now be successful !